This workshop will include an introduction to the theoretical underpinnings and supporting evidence for CPT, an in-depth instruction of the protocol sessions, demonstrations with video-recorded materials from actual cases, participant use of the therapy materials and role plays, and a discussion of common problems encountered. Participants are encouraged to bring case examples for discussion. The workshop is appropriate for psychologists, social workers, counsellors, physicians, other healthcare professionals, and students in these fields, as well as professionals who work with clients who have experienced traumas from childhood abuse, first responders, and combat.
Participants will learn
- How PTSD symptoms interact to maintain the disorder
- The theory underlying CPT to inform individual case conceptualization
- The evidence base that supports the use of CPT in treating PTSD and its common comorbidities
- Recommended assessment strategies to determine clients who are appropriate for CPT
- Session-by-session CPT protocol, including the CPT-Cognitive Only version
- Common challenges to implementing CPT (e.g., client adherence, managing comorbidities) and strategies for over- coming complex cases